Job Opening: Street Laborer (PT)
The Village of Bolivar is accepting applications for the Position of part-time Street Laborer. We will be accepting applications for this position until a qualified candidate is found and the rate of pay is $17 per hour. A detailed job description for the position can be found below. Please send letter of interest and resumes to Mayor@villageofbolivar.com or drop off at the Village Office between the hours of 9am to 1pm.
See details below.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Job Title: Part-Time Street Laborer
Department: Street Department
Reports to: Street Superintendent
Status: Part Time Nonexempt
Salary: $17.00 hourly
Revised: March 31, 2022
This job is located at the Village of Bolivar’s Street Department, and is under direct supervision of the Street Superintendent. Employees of this classification perform skilled work involved in the development, construction, maintenance, and repair of village roads, streets, storm sewers, facilities, equipment and grounds in the Village of Bolivar. The worker differs from seasonal labors by performing tasks at a proficient, accomplished level and handling the more difficult, complex or irregular tasks. Individuals in this position typically assist in setting priorities for work and are asked upon occasion to use judgment to solve unusual problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares surfaces, spreads asphalt, seals cracks, and performs other maintenance to streets and roads.
- Provides emergency service by responding to calls for services which may include conducting storm post clean up.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of waterlines, including waterline breaks.
- Perform carpentry and masonry work in constructing and repairing streets, roads, sidewalks, curbs, catch basins and manholes.
- Operates specialized equipment – tractors, backhoes, tampers, plate compactors, saws, pumps, compressors, trenchers.
- Plow snow and spread salt during winter storms on village streets and alleys as well as municipal parking lots.
- Operates weed eater, chainsaw, trimmers, riding lawn mower, and other equipment necessary for streets and grounds maintenance.
- Complies with established safety practices and procedures.
- Responsible for mowing, trimming of trees, removal of trees and other brush, weed-eating, and any other assigned tasks.
- Drives and operates pick-up truck and riding lawn mower.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Ability to drive and operate Streets Department vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of general maintenance, construction, tools, and equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards involved and the safety precautions necessary in performing maintenance, construction and repairs work.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and practice in at least one of the building trades and of street and road maintenance repair.
- Ability to perform specialized semi-skilled maintenance and repair.
- Respond to weather emergency events requiring road maintenance under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to use small hand tools and equipment.
- Willingness to follow instructions.
- Willingness to observe safety regulations.
- Willingness to assist other departments of the Village as needed.
- Willingness to work outside in all kinds of weather.
- Ability to get along with others.
- Ability to work independently in the performance of regular work duties.
- Ability to maintain routine records.
- Ability to acquire skills in the performance of the required work duties.
- Ability to make accurate judgement decisions while operating machinery in difficult situations.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Possess a valid Ohio driver’s license and be insurable.
The employee routinely works in the field and is subject to all kinds of weather. The outdoor nature of the work frequently exposes the worker to poison ivy, insect bites, blowing dust, and similar discomforts. Worker is subject to significant job hazards in connection with continual use of different pieces of equipment, and prolonged noise from machinery.
Worker comes in contact with employees in other village departments, on joint projects, and with the public due to the nature of the facilities. Basic social skills are needed.
Continuous physical effort and high level of physical coordination are needed.
Employee may provide on-the-job directions to employees on specific job assignments in order to coordinate work, but does not formally supervise others. Generally, performs assigned work under the supervision and direction of the Street Superintendent.
A Village of Bolivar Application must be completed, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Village of Bolivar is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit-based factors. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Village and employee and is subject to change by the Village as the needs of the Village and requirements of the job change.